Tuesday, August 4, 2009

WIPS - Grendel character



Here are some WIPS of my the Grendel character:

Once I decided on the gesture of the character – something that actually evolved/changed from my original concept/sketches as I started re-thinking the overall illustration - I again brought out the camera and took a slew of digital photos of myself for original references. I dropped the various photos into Photoshop as you see in this example, and just started painting from these references. As with the Beowulf character, I again decided on a flesh color, picked some light and dark values, and then just started dropping/drawing in color and creating forms with the smudge tool. I found creating the Grendel character much easier than working on the Beowulf character, (maybe because I learned not to over work the “paint” as I believe I to a certain extent with the other figure). I also did not refine Grendel as much as I did Beowulf. I think it worked out nicely just the same and adds a desirable contrast between the two mortal enemies. - db

No comments: