Friday, August 21, 2009

Gods and Death

Here be the picture of Hel and Idunn I finished up. I gave it a gray background so you can see the spiderwebs in Hel's clothes and cane. This was much more fun to work on once I got rid of the "illustration" part of it and just focused on drawing the characters.




Then today I practiced a bit of what technically would be called "illustration" or something. Simply put, it's a scene from a story I'm writing with a friend. But I liked it and had some fun with it. Even though it's SAD.




That's it for now. I also posted some comic pages a couple of posts back in case people missed that. Till next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say it again - I really like that first character on the left, Sarah! Very good work. (I also like the subtle way you placed the copyright and your name across the images. Heh heh...)

Anonymous said...

I really love the style you're going for with Hel and Idunn. However, I would suggest smoothing out your lines (ie: making the hair more angular; making the curves of the dress smoother and less "shakey"...make the line work more purposeful and confident if any of that makes sense). I think that would really strengthen the style.

Also, I LOVELOVELOVE the backgrounds for your comic and while you might consider the picture of Hel and Idunn to be just character designs, I think tossing in a background similiar to your comic (hell, or simply reusing one) would add so much to the piece.

And did I mention you draw awesome faces?

Fedoruh said...

I think these have been the strongest pieces I have seen from you since the Silk Road Chinese ink portrait I saw. Just great pieces, I think we went over these a few days ago, and I agree completely with Chris... If you can clean up these lines, it will improve the drawing that much more, removing the jitters from a straight line will make it so crisp, and really add to the piece. I can't say enough about these, but just as a refresher:

-liked the skull face (especially the teeth)
-liked the contrast in the shapes and angles used on both characters.
-liked the color palette of both


-disliked how the webs match with the colors of the skeleton character. If you can't see the webs without a grey background then change something so you can. (i.e. darker webs, outlines, thicker webs). You are the artist, the image's readability is on your shoulders.
-the skeleton's feet kind of bother me. they are very small.

Great stuff though! Looks very nice!