Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hercules + Atlas = love



Hi all. Here is a post of Hercules as he runs up on Atlas, who is seen here holding up the whole, wide, entire world.

This one started as a sketch while watching The Wire (awesome HBO show), and then I decided to give it the paint treatment. It is done mostly in Painter, with a tiny bit in Photoshop (I like Photoshop's more precise erasers - due solely to the fact that I haven't quite figured out Painter yet). Mmm... Some things that suffer in this painting seem to be Herc's body, which looks more like Disney's Tarzan. Also, I think I should define the silhouette of Atlas a little more, but I am sure I will revisit this in the future.

So, sketch > paint > blog.

Oh, and that's a detail of our Hero, as well. Critiques are more than welcomed! **** this post was edited because I realized I misspelled a word and I just couldn't take it...and... Then I edited some sentence structure, too :-/.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome work, Matt! I really like the fire effect, and your initial pencil sketch has a Frank Frazetta quality to it (that's a big compliment)! Is this piece finished, or will you refine it more? Looking real good! - db

Sarah said...

Oh yeah man quite amazing. Love the warm colors and the lighting. It really feels like the magma's moving about.

If you want to make Hercules look more like Hercules instead of a random brawny loincloth dude, you could add that lion skin he's known for. That's probably the last thing you'd want to wear in the center of the earth, but it would give him more character. XD Or something else like it. Disney's Hercules didn't wear the lion skin except in one scene so it would set him apart from that too. I love that movie.

Great work!

Anonymous said...

First things first: great job. I think your take on Atlas is a very unique and cool one. Would love to see it in a movie - it'd be intense.

I would agree with you that Atlas needs to be defined more, or his shadows at least. I get you're trying to make things hazy due to the heat of the magma, but I think that shadows should be a little more intense on Atlas. The brighter the light, the darker the shadows and all.

Heracles (yeah...I'm a geek and am gonna use his real name...) seems to be in an odd pose...I'm not sure if its his weight distribution, or his arms, or simply the angle...it just seems a little awkward to me.

So yeah. More contrast on Atlas and the background, and take a look at Heracles. Again, the take is very cool, and the composition is very effective - you can really feel a sense of awe and trepidation that Heracles must be feeling by coming upon Atlas.