Friday, September 25, 2009

On the Night Shift




Found an old cartoon.
I worked the graveyard shift at one of my first graphics jobs. I'd always joke around with my boss about what was really going on late at night. I posted this in the office one morning as I was leaving for home.

(Those machines in the drawing are actually pretty good renditions of the Genigraphics machines I used to work on. This of course was in the time before PCs. Back when the ocean and sky was clean, unicorns roamed the Earth, and tweets were things only birds made...)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Haha, cute! This is really clean for a sketch, I like it. Has a lot of energy. I can't even imagine what it's like without PCs! I'd go nuts.

Anonymous said...

Much appreciated, Sarah. The Genigraphics systems were configured to make slides and larger overhead projection images. Before PC's (and PowerPoint) corporations used to have to pay other companies to design and create all of their presentations. It was a very lucrative business! At one point, I used to work with 5 other astists and support staff on the GRAVEYARD shift! Pretty incredible, eh?

The daily commute to D.C. was a breeze, because you were always going against traffic; everyone else was leaving the city to go home while you were heading into work. Heh heh!

Anonymous said...

This is a VERY strong drawing. I love it. There's such a cool quirkiness to your line work, it makes it very fun to look at.

(and man, if work was really like that, i'd never leave!)